Boy, was this project a mess for me.
I didn't really take many process photos because I didn't really make much process week to week. My original idea was to plaster-cast several arms and attach them to one central arm, then paint the fingertips gold. However, after finishing half of one plaster cast in several weeks and not being able to cast the other half after 4+ tries, I realized this was not plausible. Making a rubber cast was a possible solution, but unfortunately the materials we had were not all that I would need and the material is not skin-safe.
So, with two weeks until the due date, I began to tape cast the arms. My first two hands were failures and un-usable, so I had to move on with about a week until the due date, since that weekend I would be away at a robotics competition for three days straight. I made my first successful tape cast in study hall, then another in art, and eventually got all hands tape-cast (I believe I made nine suitable hands, though only used seven.) Since the hands were all roughly the same size (for my original idea I would need one large arm and several smaller ones) I had to change my composition, as well. I opted for a flower-like composition of the hands reducing in size and facing more outwards/upwards as the sculpture radiates outwards. I first painted the hands with gold paint, but ran out and when the store had only another color of gold (which was much grayer) I spray painted them instead.
Kristin Hines - Student artist at Maggie L. Walker Governor's School